[lbo-talk] So Real it Hurts - Notes on Occupy Wall Street

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Oct 9 20:51:53 PDT 2011

On Oct 9, 2011, at 4:16 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
> ravi, some people think that, when white people say they hope for a
> race-blind (color-blind) society, that they are usually in denial of
> the racist social organization and social relations that currently
> exist.

By this do you mean the difference between personal attitudes (colour/race blindness?) vs structures/relations? You mentioned white Obama supporters and taking on the post-race society mantle… but won't even these moderate types acknowledge that racism continues to be a reality in our society? I get the feeling they will… but my interactions, even with Obama supporters, is small and non-diverse (i.e, techies = libertarianism with a soft heart and a few identity issues :-)).

I might, as you suggest write to her. I am not sure why she didn’t step past the personal reaction stage to explain to her readers (including brown people like me) what she found problematic and, perhaps more important, what her suggested change was (and with that, the final form of that section).

Appreciate the comments,

—ravi