[lbo-talk] Zizek speech to OWS

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 10 08:05:57 PDT 2011

M Pollak asked:

Do you have a link to a transcript to his speech?

J Gulick replied:

Sorry Michael, I do not and I don't know if one is available. All I know is that Wolff was making multiple appearances down there. I assumed (with a high degree of confidence) that he was offering a stripped-down version of the talk he's given before popular audiences for a couple years running, on capitalism as a "broken" system that needs replacing, in a very down-to-earth manner. An excellent part of that shtick IMO is his common-sense appeal to worker-owned, worker-managed firms. I'm also assuming (with a lower degree of confidence) that he's tying this part of his presentation to the "anarchist"/"pre-figurative" element of OWS, an element which I believe to be wildly overestimated by some of the occupation's theorists/observers/supporters/critics etc.

Anyway, per usual I'm going on about a lot of stuff about which I have only partial knowledge or insight, so I'll quiet down. Someone here must know more about this than I.