[lbo-talk] Blake's "London"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 11 22:14:14 PDT 2011

On 10/11/2011 11:30 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 23:49:00 -0400 (EDT)
> Michael Pollak<mpollak at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> That happens to me at
>> least once a year, that some great artist I never got, whether writer,
>> painter, musician, dancer, suddenly strikes me like lightening
>
> This happens to me with music these days -- somebody
> I used to loathe starts to grow on me. Never with books
> or poems, though. It's as if my tastes were formed at 30
> and haven't budged an inch since.

For me it happened with Wordsworth's Prelude. I went back to it every few years a for decades, and it never clicked. Then about8 years ago I read it again (1805 version) and it just exploded on me. But I never got around while I couold still see to reread it a few mmore times. So it's not part of me the way PL & the Cantos are.

In a short post that got ignored a couple months ago I suggested that there was no question as to the greatest single line ever composed, and it works in any language.:

And so the Trojans buried Hektor, breaker of horses.

Carol