[lbo-talk] Dennis Ritchie, father of C and UNIX, RIP

SK seth235 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 08:11:31 PDT 2011

Jim Farmelant wrote:
> http://goo.gl/WTqv8

sad news. The main reason I switched to a Mac a few years ago is that I can use Unix on my laptop, without the pain and aggravation of Linux. I hope Ritchie gets the recognition and teary sendoffs that Jobs got, although I doubt it.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/business-of-it/2011/10/13/dennis-ritchie-father-of-unix-and-c-dies-40094176/

"Unix and C's direct and spiritual descendants cannot be counted, but include Linux, Android, Mac OS, iOS, JavaScript, C++, the genius of the internet and a world full of developers. Likewise, legal restrictions on how Bell Labs and its parent, AT&T, could commercially exploit software — an antitrust ruling prevented standard licensing — meant that the ideas and, often, the actual code underlying Unix and C became a de facto open system."