[lbo-talk] Infrastructure

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 09:46:46 PDT 2011

A follow-up thought. Our economy is extraordinarily productive, so productive that it not only meets our basic needs but also our most exotic wants. For most of us, these ants are entailed in the "American dream" epitomized by a suburban MacMansion and most of us ordinary grunts do not mind inefficiencies of, say, automobile based transit or single family houses to buy our piece of the "American dream." The neo-liberals, however, dream big - beyond Mac Mansions and limousines. For them the "American dream" is the lebensraum for the elites, a hierarchical class society in which the Nietzschean uebermenschen enjoy unlimited freedom of action on the untermenschen. They know that they can buy that dream just as the rest of us buy our little pieces of the "American dream," and if the price for their big dream is sub-optimal performance of the economy, so be it. Our economy is very productive indeed, and a little inefficiency here and there is a small price to pay for the neo-liberal dream. These guys are fully prepared to pay for that dream with sacrificing economic efficiency, even if that derails the trains, both literally and figuratively.

It is not some "logic of capitalism" (whatever that is) - but actions of specific social actors with names and addresses that are behind this. They have a dream and the means of pursuing it and they will impose their dream on the rest of society if they are not stopped by force (by which I do not mean force of arguments.)

Wojtek