[lbo-talk] Infrastructure

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 11:00:35 PDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 13:59, Chuck Grimes <c123grimes at att.net> wrote:
> Everything from building cranes, bridge tresses to a screwdriver is made in
> China. Where do you think their economic development came from? Some Chinese
> magic trick? As for the USA, there is no there ... there.

As some on this list know I live down in Argentina. Last week, a friend and colleague from Sacramento, CA was emailed me about "where did the jobs go?", and pasted the url below.

Not Made in America at the Root of U.S. Economic Crisis http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article30466.html

I replied by telling that the American jobs went to China, of course, and proceeded to list the "Made in USA" things that I own down here in Argentina... PC (netbook)? no, Assembled in Venezuela, with Chinese components. LG LCD? Assembled in Argentina, from Chinese components. Fridge? a Samsung fully Made in Korea.

Oh wait, there´s two things Made in USA that I still own... a Black and Decker drill passed by my old man. He bought it in 1978 or thereabouts. The label peeled off but it just keeps going... with an all-metal casing seemingly able to resist gunfire. :)

Here are the pics... notice something?.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/madeinusadrillmetalbodya.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/madeinusadrillmetalbody.jpg/

Pay attention to the inscription in the 2nd "Chicago, ILL"

Yes, that´s a postal from back when the US of A had a manufacturing and light metal industry.

:-/
FC

PD: I bet such industry still exists... somewhere... but only serves the US military-industrial complex (ie overbill Uncle Sam), not to manufacture consumer goods...

-- "The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers." Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code