[lbo-talk] Jobs in heaven

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Oct 17 18:39:01 PDT 2011

> > I know a guy who works for the Gates Foundation
> > (that *is* the Bill you have in mind, right?)
>
> Of course not. But you knew that.

I knew it, yes, but I had forgotten. Apologies. Bill B, the Texas sheriff's scion, was never much on my radar.

"Immanentize the eschaton" is perfect for him, though -- particularly the Greco-Roman barbarism 'immanentize'. One has the strong sense that his Roget's must have been very well thumbed.

My son observed today -- a propos Steve Jobs, as it happens -- that it wasn't very classy to gloat over somebody being dead. A point well taken. But as Richard Stallman recently said, also about Jobs, and quoting somebody on the subject of Richard J Daley -- "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone."

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com