[lbo-talk] What does "*Trust the People" mean?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Oct 18 03:08:27 PDT 2011

:) This is intersting, that it came up, because there is mention of it
in this book. Shockingly (!!) there were debates over what SNCCers meant when they said "trust the people" and "let the people decide" and whether or not it was possible to represent or characterize or speak for the "black community." Which is, of course, what I and others here have often argued: the post structuralist concern with the "problem of speaking for" emerged _from_ politics, it wasn't an idea that emerged out of the icy thin heights of abstraction in academe.

Basically, what's slaying me here is that, amid all these claims that nothing will ever change, no radical change can ever happen in the current environment because of this ill or that (e.g., Dean's "sins") the fact is, if you look at the movements of the 60s, movements which so many will uphold as amodel, these issues and problems, these "sins" were evident in 1961 already. Clearly, then, these sins aren't the product of anything that changed recently, they aren't necessarily even a product of a "airy fairy" concepts of anti-racism since, the funny thing is, already, by 1962, there wwere already debates over what to fight when fighting racism at a time when it all seemed so obvious and clear what the enemy was. These "sins" weren't absent then (I think of all the books I read about alienated "organization man" and the atomization and hyperindividualism alonside crazed conformity during the 50s) and all of a sudden present now, ostensibly making it difficult for OWS to turn into anyhthing of import.

These may be what Carrol has been trying to say, I don't know. But when he keeps saying "we can't know" and "there are spurts of growth and period of quiescence" (to paraphrase) this makes sense looking very specifically at SNCC (and now) SDS.

BTW, weren't the early new lefties red diaper babies, contra Bhaskar's claim that student movements grew out of the peculiarities of dorm life? I mean, reading some of the bios, the people who sparked off new left movements were connected to reds and/or union labor.