[lbo-talk] What does "*Trust the People" mean?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 17 18:08:45 PDT 2011

It does NOT men that people are wonderful or that they are even "trustworthy," whatever that might mean. In fact, as I will attempt to show, it means first of all that it is wrong to ever make either positive or negative judgments of the people, such judgments being politically paralyzing.

But here is the point.

IF you believe that capitalism must be overthrown, then you have to confront the fundamental fact that this is going to be done by the people or not done at all. Hence the character or the morals or the intelligence of the people are really stupid topics of study. No conclusions reached by such study can be other than apolitical, a repudiation of anticapitalist struggle, which must be grounded on the assumption that at some point "the people" will join the the struggle. That has to be the foundation of all anticapitalist strategy. If it turns out that the people fail to live up to the strategy, then that is it. Luxemburg's barbarism continues. But that is irrelevant, and worrying about it is a really silly attempt to use a non-existent crystal balll. Prediction on this is impossible and stupid to try. If we lose, we lose. Other species have died out. Join the crowd. A strategy grounded in "Trust the People" very probably won't work. A strategy NOT so ground es absolutely certain not to work.

Carrol

Carrol