[lbo-talk] supply chain

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Oct 18 09:37:17 PDT 2011

On Oct 18, 2011, at 11:34 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> Just got notified that Apple has shipped my iPhone 4S, so I checked the tracking info. FedEx picked it up in Shenzhen this morning, and it's now in HK. For some reason, I'd thought that they'd ship them from a distribution center in the U.S. But direct from China!

You are behind the times, bro. Forget iPhones, even heavy telco equipment (like the stuff my employer builds) is shipped straight out of China these days. Why maintain expensive warehousing, inventory management, and all that here? You provide them quality specs, institute a process for verification etc, and have one or two of your guys travel to China once a month, and you are done. This now happens even for integration, even across two US vendors, in some cases. We keep some spares locally but that’s about it.

But you just wanted to boast that you are getting a new 4S don't you? :-) Won’t work with me, since the only real new feature is Siri and when it comes to my accent that a nosiree.

—ravi