[lbo-talk] Taking the Pulse of Elite Response to OWS

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 18 11:07:09 PDT 2011

On Oct 18, 2011, at 1:36 PM, // ravi wrote:

> There’s political analysis and there’s political analysis. Assuming you don’t blame them for protesting without a degree in political science or sociology (or a union membership card), what you can fault them for is wilful ignorance (a la the tea baggers). But such is not the case. They are willing to learn about the economic system, the Fed, how to counter Ron Paulites, and so on, from Stiglitz or you. That is political analysis, is it not? I am sure they would be equally happy to hear someone educate them on political theories or ethical systems or what have you.

Well no kidding. You & Eric are telling me things I already know with the apparent assumption that I don't know them. It's getting annoying.

> On top of that, should they need to be aware of, acknowledge and act upon Dean’s blogging about process or how her kind of Leninist revolution would work, or Foucault theorists ideas about college, so on?

They don't. That was the debate I was in with people - intellectuals in some sense - who claim an ideological affinity with the style of protest. I don't get why you have to keep bringing Jodi into this.