[lbo-talk] Taking the Pulse of Elite Response to OWS

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Oct 18 10:36:24 PDT 2011

On Oct 18, 2011, at 1:04 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2011, at 12:09 PM, Eric Beck wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Glad to have amused you. Now would you mind disclosing the source of amusement?
>>
>> That unemployment and debt are nonpolitical.
>
> I thought you'd say that. Of course they're political. But the youth I talked to hadn't really thought things through politically. They had no political analysis to speak of.

There’s political analysis and there’s political analysis. Assuming you don’t blame them for protesting without a degree in political science or sociology (or a union membership card), what you can fault them for is wilful ignorance (a la the tea baggers). But such is not the case. They are willing to learn about the economic system, the Fed, how to counter Ron Paulites, and so on, from Stiglitz or you. That is political analysis, is it not? I am sure they would be equally happy to hear someone educate them on political theories or ethical systems or what have you.

On top of that, should they need to be aware of, acknowledge and act upon Dean’s blogging about process or how her kind of Leninist revolution would work, or Foucault theorists ideas about college, so on?

—ravi