[lbo-talk] port huron

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Wed Oct 19 11:40:18 PDT 2011

I can give you my impression when I first heard SDS out here.

Somebody I don't know who showed up in Sproul and gave a noon speech and came back a few times. They sounded exactly as your impression, juvenile or out of it, or something from somewhere else.

I should have had an affinity for them, but didn't. Students for a Democratic Society sounded a little off. What student wasn't? We were sick of being talked to, rather than taught, tired of the cliche America in the history books, and definitely wanted out of the high school teacher mode which is profoundly undemocratic.

The rather vague anti-commie stuff was like a perfume you couldn't quite identify, but it was there. And that alone was enough for me. These people had no idea what they were doing in Berkeley which had already undergone a huge fight against the state's McCarthyism, loyalty oaths, and other bullshit in FSM. I wasn't here for FSM, but it was still the story two years later to learn because there was a Sproul noon rally only because of FSM. Occasionally somebody from FSM would come to the mic since they were still in school and they were usually great to hear from. Institutional memory was still very much alive.

Anyway, OWS reminds me a lot of those days. I couldn't really articulate my political mind, but I knew what I didn't want, which was more of the same, and certainly not a job in business, or a tour in some stupid war, or watching the cops beat up black people---which seemed to be their only public function.

CG

So here we are again.