[lbo-talk] Jacobin debate up

Ferenc Molnar ferenc_molnar at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:33:11 PDT 2011

SA wrote: "Okay, then: show me the "sustained discussion" and debate we've been missing - where is it?"

FM: It's not so much a discussion or a debate you're missing as a willingness to engage with the more revolutionary potential of OWS. I wrestle with that potential myself. I'm certainly not convinced of it. But I didn't see an attempt among the panelists to try to understand why OWS has been so successful and more importantly what connection, if any, OWS has to the global uprisings of 2011. Does the panel believe there is a connection or not? I wasn't sure. Also, why not address the potential threat of OWS which may represent the beginnings (I repeat, the beginnings) of an alternative governance structure to take the place of the current one should the global ruling class continue its arrogant and destructive path.

Chris Hedges recent remarks on OWS:

What happens is in all of these movements … the foot soldiers of the elite — the blue uniformed police, the mechanisms of control — finally don’t want to impede the movement and at that point the power elite is left defenseless … the only thing I can say having been in the middle of similar movements is that this one is real, and this one could take them all down … I can guarantee you that huge segments of those blue uniformed police sympathize with everything that you’re doing.”

Hedges full remarks here (rather moving):

http://www.mediaite.com/online/chris-hedges-on-occupy-wall-street-this-one-could-take-them-all-down/