[lbo-talk] OWS: a view from Australia

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 19 18:14:24 PDT 2011

[posted by Gary MacLennan to Lou Proyect's Marxmail]

Watching this and it was extremely interesting to sit through. This is I truly hope the very beginning of the reconstruction and the rediscovery of an American Left. I keep banging on about this, but American comrades must understand how this is galvanising the world. If the Left in America re-emerges as an historical agent, then a lot will become possible.

The actual viewing of the video was in many ways a trip down memory lane for me. It has been so long since we have had a movement in Brisbane and a forum where Marxists and Anarchists debated strategy and tactics. I would say 1985 and the Electrical workers lockout was the last time this happened here.

So I was at one with Doug and Jodi and Chris. I especially disliked Natasha Lennard's channeling of Foucault's - power is everywhere rubbish- and was very pleased when Doug pulled her up on it. She actually got worse as the debate wore on.

Still the occupation is an inspiration and the debate in the shop owes everything to that.

comradely

Gary