[lbo-talk] Jacobin debate up

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Oct 19 18:35:19 PDT 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 8:48 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2011, at 8:39 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>
>> As best I can tell, what Doug is objecting to is the idea that "a way
>> or life" is a sound approach to overthrowing capitalism.
>>
>> So, what he seems to be rejecting is the idea of a prefigurative
>> politics where you try, as best you can, to live as if you already had
>> the good society you hoped to build. Doug seems to reject this
>> approach as northing more than an ethics - an ineffective politics
>> and, in fact, not a politics at all - if I understand him.

Here “nothing more than an ethics”, is it implied that ethics is even less than this idea (“way of life”)? I ask because thus far in life, it is ethical philosophy that I personally have found most convincing as a political analysis/method. I am not trying to argue in favour of it - I understand I might be alone on this list when it comes to it. Rather, I am wondering if any of my arguments (outside of say evolutionary biology which has a strange way of cropping up :-)) will be meaningful at all given this chasm.

—ravi