[lbo-talk] bourgeois individualism

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Oct 20 07:30:31 PDT 2011

no, i said trust is built when people don't violate that normative demand from the group. i also said that, when someone does, then everyone now knows that the person violated that trust and it reinforces for them the importance of this norm, which they sometimes take for granted and ren't even aware of. Let me drop a name: Goffman. as a sociologist, you also know full well the answer to what happens when someone does violate trust. indeed, there's an entire strand of sociological research which shows that such "deviance" from normative demands of a group is functional and necessary to solidarity.

I have no sense of what you mean by standard behavior in other groups because you've provided no empirical examples of what you are talking about.

you're a sociologist. if you don't know the answer to the question you have about "standard behavior", I can't really help you with that because your years of study and living life haven't given you a klewX4. My brains aren't big enough to figure out how to be better than the books you've read, teachers you've had, and colleagues with whom you've collaborated. if they've failed, I am certainly not the broad for the job.