[lbo-talk] Jacobin debate up

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Oct 20 08:28:14 PDT 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 11:01 AM, Joseph Catron wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 6:41 AM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>
>> You don't know what to do yourself and you are nagging OWS (who are not
>> listening) to do it for you. They won't.
>>

> Who is this mysterious "they," and why do "they" care so little for the
> perspectives of others? :-D
>
> Seriously, after organizing alongside many OWS participants for years, I'd
> be pretty miffed if I imagined they were really so indifferent to my
> opinions!

The “you” above was not you, Joe Catron, but SA and his collaborators. The “they” above is those occupying Wall St. This differentiation was not introduced by Carrol. It was introduced at the start of this thread by contrasting the debate in the panel and the lack of it (debate, strategic discussion, etc) in Zuccotti Park.

Having been to Zuccotti and talked to the people there, and judging by their response to Stiglitz and others, I would say that they are quite open, not indifferent, to the opinions of anyone who is interested in coming and talking to them.

—ravi