[lbo-talk] OWS Demands working group: jobs for all!

leninstombblog at googlemail.com leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:00:07 PDT 2011

Eric Beck wrote:

"Okay, let me ask explicitly: what's wrong with being against full employment as a demand? Jobs (little "j") fucking suck and cause as much misery, stress, and death as lack of jobs. Why demand that? Talk about desiring your own repression."

What's wrong with this is that it completely misses the point. Since the agenda isn't to overthrow capitalism with a list of demands, it has to be to organise people around demands that would both have political traction and, in the context of capitalism, strengthen the position of the working class. It is certainly true that waged labour is a cause of misery. Much more so when labour is weak, chastened and subject to the threat of unemployment at any moment. However, by any relevant index, being denied access to the wage and being forced to live in poverty is far worse. It is simply untrue that, as you claim, employment is as physically and psychically costly as unemployment. Both at an individual and aggregate level, full employment is better for everyone. This is why working class people overwhelmingly want and seek waged labour. Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone from Virgin Media