[lbo-talk] OWS Demands working group: jobs for all!

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 15:00:59 PDT 2011

Remember, these demands aren't just directed at the state, they are directed to the general population, as representative of what the movement stands *for, *contra all the claims in the mainstream media that it's incoherent and they don't stand for anything.

Here's a snippet from Richard's "How Can the Left Win?" (written this summer):

A minimum precondition for the Left to win is that it can provide a plausible explanation for the crisis and, on the basis of that, a persuasive set of solutions that are neither captive to the logic of neoliberalism – as are the solutions offered by the center-left, focused on modified austerity and a slightly tougher regulatory regime to curtail financial “excesses” – nor improbably maximalist. Kouvelakis describes the impotence of “propagandistic attitudes” simply denouncing capitalism, in contrast to the careful “mediations through which the dominant classes are responding to the crisis.” But the Left requires its own “mediations,” a set of reasonable demands which act on popular attitudes, provide a creditable response to the crisis, and attack weak links in the ideological articulations of the ruling class.