[lbo-talk] OWS Demands working group: jobs for all!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 20 15:03:00 PDT 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 5:51 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> That's one way to look at it. Another is, if you aren't going to get the
> minimal acceptable demands (in this case, full employment in the public
> sector, etc., etc.) for the foreseeable future, why not reach for the sky?

What would reaching for the sky be?

Me, I'm looking for demands that could attract a significant amount of support and have a decent chance of changing the way people talk and view the world. So, jobs, health care, schools, clean tech, yes. Decommodification and mutuality, not so much.

I'm not entirely happy with this situation. I love the idea of decommodification and mutuality. I just don't think it's the right moment for it.

Doug