[lbo-talk] OWS Demands working group: jobs for all!

Nathan S. n.crazeddoberman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 19:50:21 PDT 2011

On 10/20/2011 10:36 PM, Eric Beck wrote:
> Nonsense. The times of full employment in the last century have been
> world war and something as bad, society-wide unpaid reproductive labor
> and unimaginable exploitation in the periphery. It made *some* people
> freer while the rest paid for it horribly. I can't imagine demanding a
> return to that.

W/r/t "unpaid reproductive labor and unimaginable exploitation" to what exactly are you referring? The TVA? Or the widespread displacement of southern whites in the US following the Depression-era reforms?

And while world war may have led to full employment, immediately after the end of the Second World War the Nat'l Ass'n of Manufacturers launched a fierce and well-funded attack against labor. If I'm not mistaken there was even a widespread sentiment about the need to encourage women to return to the home and have children because it was simply too dangerous to have them in factories/offices as part of that same campaign.

-- Nathan