[lbo-talk] Doris Day and "Julie" (1956)

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Oct 21 11:20:26 PDT 2011

There seemed to be a need, after WWII horrors, for normalcy as embodied in booze and domesticity. Every man was king of his castle, and all was right with the world.

Sam Mendes made a movie about this, "Revolutionary Road," which captured the struggle and the spirit perfectly. I highly recommend it.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

During the war the same issue of a magazine wold contain one ad featureing the need for omen in wr plants (Rosie the riveter theme) and another ad, shoing a womanin a house dress, standing before an open refrigerator (no door storage in refrigerators before the war), and saying, "When my husband comes home I'm going to show him the door." And you should look up what Aunt Molly Jackson has to say about the way her brother-in-law's song (Put that pistol down) was corrupted in a pop version of it in 1943. The valedictorian of my high school class (1947) stopped work (as a social worker) as soon as she married.

Carrol