[lbo-talk] Doris Day and "Julie" (1956)

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Fri Oct 21 13:32:19 PDT 2011

On Oct 21, 2011, at 2:20 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> There seemed to be a need, after WWII horrors, for normalcy as embodied in booze and domesticity. Every man was king of his castle, and all was right with the world.

Although a lot of Film Noir was built around the premise that GIs were coming back to a world where their wives had been enjoying the booze, and more than a little domesticity with another man. Try "The Blue Dahlia" from 1946, especially if you're not familiar with Veronica Lake...

> Sam Mendes made a movie about this, "Revolutionary Road," which captured the struggle and the spirit perfectly. I highly recommend it.

I'll check it out, thanks. Mostly I like what DiCaprio has done since "Titanic."

Bon ouikend! Charles