[lbo-talk] The "Liberty Square Blueprint"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 21 11:29:40 PDT 2011

A couple decades ago Michael Jordan, one of the greatest basketball players in NBA history, decided he wanted to be a star in major league baseball. At the height of his career he spent two years in a minor league club learning that he couldn't hit a curve all.

Doug Henwood is publishing regularly the best economic news letter ever to appear in English. His Wall Street is a clasic of left writing. He has a major radio show interviewing important people we might otherwise not know about. That makes him (desevedly) a towering figure on the left.

But like Jordan a couple decades ago, he isn't satisfied with that. He wants to also see himself as an expert in a field in which he is a total amateur, ignorant of the basic facts. He has ot the slightest inkling of how decisions get made within the very messy realm of mass politics; he is ignorant of the need to work with or around people with the wildest politcial ideas. He suffers from the delusion that if one has demonstrated an idea is false that sould take care of it. It never does. He is the political equ8ivalent of Michael Jordan swinging helplessly at courve balls hurled by minor league pitchers.

Carrol