[lbo-talk] Murray Bookchin on autonomy, consensus, democracy

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Sat Oct 22 04:31:47 PDT 2011

Some anarchists' fetishizing of consensus can take unbelievable and ridiculous extremes. Consensus is a sensible tool, but unfortunately some don't learn the tradeoffs of their tools, and are misinformed by those who beat their "comrades" over the head with them.

[BTW, I'm not criticizing the OWS "anarchists/libertarians" who blocked that full-employment demand, who I know nothing about. I can imagine that this demand is a counterproductive tactic. The point is long-term organizing; "demands" only make sense if there's some tactical benefit. Maybe there's more costs than benefits.]

Take internet forums, which for many people is the closest thing we have to a public square. I've actually seen some anarchists allow outright misogynists (who call themselves "Men's Rights Advocates", I'm not joking), trolls and their allies to participate in decisionmaking. I can only assume that in real life, they do the same with the leering guy who always pays his membership dues and carries an FBI keychain.

There's a difference between a decisonmaking procedure (consensus, voting, fiat, etc), and the merits of the decision. A skinhead group may use consensus internally (many corporations do, like tech startups Graber mentioned in _Debt_), but we'd hardly consider that a wonderful thing.

There are solid anarchists who do inspiring organizing work, and they bump up against this issue:

"To be blunt, why should we care if organizations are democratic?

Democracy is not an end in itself, democracy is a means. A bad

decision made democratically is still a bad decision. There are two

reasons to care about democracy. Democracy is good when it results

in good decisions – when groups decide to do good things. And

democracy is good when it has good effects on the participants –

when it makes them better and more likely to do good things. This

results in tensions. Participation in democratic decision-making

can have important shaping roles on people’s shared interests. But

sometimes people’s shared interests are narrow and conservative.

"Say there are two mass organizations, both with a lot of

conservative members. One is highly democratic and votes to exclude

racial minorities or to oppose a program of member education around

racial oppression within the organization and in society. The other

is highly undemocratic, with a leadership to the left of its

membership. In the second organization, the leadership

undemocratically creates a program to educate members about race

and changes the members’ attitudes. Clearly both of these

situations are highly imperfect. Clearly the second is preferable.

"Above all, we should strive to create the conditions wherein an

organization can act democratically and make good decisions in a

democratic fashion. Sometimes this means encouraging democratic

processes even though this will result in worse decisions than if

an enlightened leadership made them. Other times, however, certain

issues are important enough that being less than fully democratic

is worth it because it will avoid catastrophes or create conditions

which change members’ consciousness over time."

— Nate Hawthorne, http://ideasandaction.info/2011/06/mottoes-and-watchwords/

All the best,

Tj