[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Oct 22 17:28:20 PDT 2011

Occupy Oakland is taking place in Frank Ogawa plaza, downtown Oakland. I went there today w my ex who decided to donate a never-used tent.

I saw around 700 people and about 50 tents, pitched in the square facing Oakland's govt building. There is an additional very small encampement a few blocks away in Snow park, near Lake Merrit. About a dozen tents there. I was walking by Snow Park Friday, where I donated some money, and was amused to see one book lying about, very fat, titled "Power" by Foucauld. Would have stopped to chat, but was feeling very sick and had to go home.

The larger Occupy Oakland has apparently renamed "Frank Ogawa" plaza as "Oscar Grant" plaza. Oscar Grant was the young man who was shot in the back while bound and helpless during a BART protest a little over a year ago.

While I was there, most of the speakers were talking about public education in Oakland which is getting more horrific by the day as funds are used to pay interest on a scam the state ran a few years ago, pay for huge administration and consulting costs, and for a continual churn of closings and charter conversions.

It was a diverse crowd both ethnically and age wise. I saw a commie activist with placard and fliers. The area was very well organized and clean. I noted a first aid tent, a child care area, and walk ways set up between tents.

Now that I think of it, it was interesting that I saw no cops. An ILWW (I mean longshoreman's union) came to talk; he proudly announced that he had worked with the Panthers (everyone cheered) & talked about the banks. Another guy got up and talked about the criminalization of the kids through recently enacted curfews and other anti "gang" legislation. I heard no anti-capitalist talk. But I was only there for about forty five minutes.

The atmosphere seemed sunny (as was the weather). Can't report much more without spending more time.

Joanna