[lbo-talk] Murray Bookchin on autonomy, consensus, democracy

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 22 17:44:40 PDT 2011

Joseph Catron I wouldn't take Carrol too seriously under these circumstances. He has an odd thing for imagining those who disagree with him moping about in dark spaces unconsolably and doing nothing. It is, as they say, the prices of admission in these parts. -------

It wasn't the disagreement with me (that's common) that got me, it was the presumptuousness of defining the essence of thousans, no 100s of thousands, of strangers. And doing so with an abstraction , "individualism," which is difficult when you are dealing with a particular person and a particular action by that person. Using the term for so many strangers in struggle is offensive.

After the OWS has more or less died away, then it will be time to analyze what happened in various Occupations, identifying what its dynamic was, how different Occupations resembled and differed from each other, what were the political tendencies implicit or explicit in it; what is worth other actions imitating; what should be avoided. I see it as a sign of either arrogance or deliberate political fatuity to attempt such judgments on the fly now.

Carrol