[lbo-talk] American academia only good at producing writers, literary critics and historians

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 18:19:51 PDT 2011

Will Dropouts Save America?

I TYPED these words on a computer designed by Apple, co-founded by the college dropout Steve Jobs. The program I used to write it was created by Microsoft, started by the college dropouts Bill Gates and Paul Allen.

And as soon as it is published, I will share it with my friends via Twitter, co-founded by the college dropouts Jack Dorsey and Evan Williams and Biz Stone, and Facebook — invented, among others, by the college dropouts Mark Zuckerberg and Dustin Moskovitz, and nurtured by the degreeless Sean Parker.

American academia is good at producing writers, literary critics and historians. It is also good at producing professionals with degrees. But we don’t have a shortage of lawyers and professors. America has a shortage of job creators. And the people who create jobs aren’t traditional professionals, but start-up entrepreneurs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/opinion/sunday/will-dropouts-save-america.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&src=ISMR_AP_LO_MST_FB

-- "The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers." Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code