[lbo-talk] those demands? forget about 'em!

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 06:22:35 PDT 2011

Chuck: "Political movements attract a certain kind of person who whether they know it or not are obstructionists by character. OWS has evidently collected quite a few. You'all better gain some handle on these people or you are doomed."

[WS:] I am pretty much with you on this. It was deservedly ridiculed by Monty Python http://www.epicure.demon.co.uk/whattheromans.html

However, to play a role of devil's advocate - "sectarianism" aka diversity can be a good thing in the first stage of a movement. It means that the movement attracts diverse groups and interests. Of course, to be successful, a movement must engage in "frame bridging" which basically means incorporating these various interests and "demands" into a single coherent frame that serves as guidance to further political action. So at this stage, "sectarianism" of OWS does not concern me that much - although in general it is a pretty annoying feature of left movements. I would be more concerned, however, if it persisted in, say, six months from now.

Wojtek