[lbo-talk] Europe Stifles Drivers in Favor of Mass Transit and Walking

duh-roo bowmanster at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 17:19:41 PDT 2011

It's a matter of culture. In the states, people expect drivers and pedestrians to regulate their movement by formal significations, so many people don't actually pay much attention to their neighbors in the streets, relying instead on traffic lights, lanes etc to keep them safe. In China (and most of Asia) both drivers and pedestrians go where they like, when they like, and rely on themselves and each other to keep aware and not collide. As a consequence, people move slower, keep their heads on a swivel, and traffic flows smoothly without stopping, though it may appear chaotic or "anarchic" simply by looking at it--the way a flock of birds navigating common air space might. This is shocking and uncomfortable to a westerner not used to the practice, but it really isn't that difficult. I can't speak for Shanghai, but here in Yongzhou, Hunan province, you can safely enter the street whenever you like, drivers will see you and go around you, or you will see them and pause to let them pass, everyone honks politely to let you know they're coming, and no one gets hurt, though I have seen a few people on the ground having fallen off their motorbike in bigger cities like Changsha. Quick google on traffic accident stats suggest China's fatal accidents as percentage of population is a bit lower than America's.