[lbo-talk] Culture Corner...

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Mon Oct 24 14:54:17 PDT 2011

Courtesy Dmytri Kleiner, a page about Ed Hall's protest banners:

<http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/2011/10/on-the-march.php>

"One of the exhibitions i was most eager to visit was On The March - An Exhibition of banners Made by Ed Hall at the People's History Museum.

Ed Hall makes the most amazing, colourful handcrafted banners i've ever seen. Before discovering his work at an exhibition curated by Jeremy Deller for the Palais de Tokyo in Paris a few years ago, I had no idea you could still commission someone to design, paint, embroider and stitch protest banners.

Hall used to be an architect but he was also a trade union rep when Thatcher came into power. In the '80s, he started drawing banners and posters to support Lambeth Council's protest campaign against government restrictions on the amount of tax councils could charge. That was his first foray into protest art. Nowadays, he's the UK's foremost trade union and campaign banner artist."

. . . . .

The American Institute of Graphic Artists (AIGA) urges the Obama 2012 campaign to reconsider its jobs poster contest:

<http://www.aiga.org/aiga-urges-the-obama-2012-campaign-to-reconsider-its-jobs-poster-contest/>

"The Art Works poster contest asks designers to work speculatively, creating designs without compensation for an activity that has value to a potential client, against established global principles in communication design. We are quite certain that public relations consultants, political consultants, networks, telecommunication providers and advertising media are not asked to donate their services and turn their ideas, research and work over to a campaign that is poised to raise $1 billion without compensation. This demonstrated lack of respect for the value of creative endeavors is exacerbated by the stipulation that ownership of all the creative property submitted, whether or not selected, is transferred to the campaign. And it is particularly contemptuous to ask the creative community to donate their services in support of a jobs program for other American workers."

. . . . .

And on the Jazz front, this from "Tim" at the Jazz Research listserv: