[lbo-talk] Occupy Police

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Oct 24 15:15:13 PDT 2011

i never know what to make of all this. In fact, asked a question of folks about this a couple of weeks ago. still interested in thoughts on the matter.

Someone circulated the story of how cops in Albany refused to arrest Occupy Albany over the weekend. He saw it as evidence as to why we must always be solicitous to the Sizzlean. But I was more interested in the story for the way the cops acted as management sometimes acts in the face of C-levels (threads of Burnham's managerial revolution?) but way more interesting than even that was simply the fact that they don't have the resources to fight the war. Talk about grabbing a fissure in the system and tearing it open even more.

Anyway, most of the people in our Occupy are stoked at what they think of as police helping us. Like, when they ride along on motorcycles as escorts to marches. People leave thank you notes behind after a gathering in front of a public monument to the civil war dead. LOL

When a debate errupted over bringing weapons, guns specifically, to the park and encampment, it was eventually determined that the guy threatening to show up with his gun would be escorted out of the area by the cops.

This from a group of avid 2a supporters!

Basically, the idea is to cooperate with officials because, for most people, the idea isn't to disrupt operations, but to 1. build community; 2. expand group membership; 3. take an accounting of who we are; 4. figure out how people who are really different can actuall work together.