[lbo-talk] On Theorizing the Demand for Demands

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Oct 24 17:17:31 PDT 2011

Glanced through it. Depressingly familiar. Actually, the California stuff is better. At least they offered some practical tips on how to lock down a building mixed in the sub-Debordian tedium. I don't see how this could help someone plan an actual building occupation. I don't mind manifestos, but a lot of this stuff feels obfuscatory.

Repetition is a part of planning. To use an example from Occupy DC, the first part of every meeting is used to review the community rules because the organizers understand that you're going to have new folks at every meeting, and therefore the act of repetition allows for a review of the social contract. I know the anti-process side of the debate is probably writhing in their seats right now, but it strikes me as a pretty good idea within the context of the contingency that exists in the actions right now.

robert wood