[lbo-talk] OWS Demands working group: jobs for all!

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 13:45:34 PDT 2011

I said I hoped that somebody would tell me something I didn't know. You guys aren't.

It makes perfect sense that unemployment would have these effects in a North American or European society infested with a bourgie morality of labor (a "Protestant ethic," Weber said, although I have my doubts about that). Indeed, it could hardly be otherwise. Such false consciousness is obviously part of both our specific equations here and the problems we're discussing more broadly. I'm inclined to think there's no way out except through it, but won't argue the point now.

Find those same effects in a society without that particular bourgie morality and I'll be more impressed. It isn't as if such societies are difficult to locate (*cough* office hours in Arab countries *cough*). You may very well be able to; I'm not arguing for a thesis here, but rather pointing out that your thesis is far from established.

I wouldn't lean too heavily on my own experience - anecdotal impressions are generally crap - but I'm currently living in a territory with a 45.2% unemployment rate, and I simply don't see your claims at work here. But prove that the effects of unemployment you describe are inherent to the situation itself, rather than its cultural context, and I'll admit you were right.