[lbo-talk] On Theorizing the Demand for Demands

christian bayes christianbayes01 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 13:45:47 PDT 2011

"...Graeber's objection to demands has a similar character: we don't want to legitimize the state by asking anything of it. Well, guess what, the state could care less if you think it's legitimate or not; it doesn't need your imprimatur to continue functioning."

I agree and I keep wondering about an example that seems relevant: ACT UP. In the decades leading up the AIDS crisis of the 80's, gay men, particularly urban gay men, were doing all the "recoding" of sexual practice and identity you could want, and then some. That is, they participated in--really gave among the best example of--the kind of ethical re-imagining that N. from the Jacobin conversation kept talking about.

But during the AIDS crisis, this really small minority nonetheless were really effective at moving the state and its apparati--particularly in funding for public health and medical research--in the right direction. At the same time, they almost instantly recoded their sexual imaginaries--the most obvious way was to include--even feature--condoms in pornography. Again, they also did this in a lot of other ways, and continue to do so. The whole bareback scene is another way to try and live outside that sexual grid. Etc. It would be interesting to see an argument about their long-term effects, but even if they advanced the search for a vaccine by one or two years, that would be a remarkable achievement, for such a small community.

So, I guess my point is that the opposition that has seemed to animate the discussion of OWS, would seem not to hold in this case. Both kinds of activity can be pursued--although I'm sure the history of this movement provides cautionary notes as well, given the alliance of HRC etc. with the Dems, etc.

christian