[lbo-talk] OWS Demands working group: jobs for all!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 25 14:27:28 PDT 2011

On Oct 25, 2011, at 4:45 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> I wouldn't lean too heavily on my own experience - anecdotal impressions are
> generally crap - but I'm currently living in a territory with a 45.2%
> unemployment rate, and I simply don't see your claims at work here. But
> prove that the effects of unemployment you describe are inherent to the
> situation itself, rather than its cultural context, and I'll admit you were
> right.

Usually people cite the 45% unemployment rate as one of the awful things about life in Gaza. I've interviewed Sara Roy a few times, and am on her email list, and I see a lot of that sort of thing. Are you telling me that that's not really a problem? That mass unemployment isn't one of the pains of the occupation? Or is Sara deluded because she's an economist who teaches at Harvard?

Doug