[lbo-talk] OWS Demands working group: jobs for all!

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 15:25:22 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

Usually people cite the 45% unemployment rate as one of the awful things
> about life in Gaza. I've interviewed Sara Roy a few times, and am on her
> email list, and I see a lot of that sort of thing. Are you telling me that
> that's not really a problem? That mass unemployment isn't one of the pains
> of the occupation? Or is Sara deluded because she's an economist who teaches
> at Harvard?

Unemployment is an economic problem here. But from my limited range of discussions and experiences, I haven't found it to be a psychological problem in the way you and SA (legitimately, I think) describe it in the United States and other Western economies. People here would rather have money than not. Some of them, who feel driven to particular careers, also wish for the fulfillment of pursuing them. I haven't really encountered the moral compulsion to wage labor that grips the European world - although, as I continually remind myself, I could always be missing something.