[lbo-talk] On Theorizing the Demand for Demands

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 07:59:04 PDT 2011

In other words the ideological foundation of both the SWP's super-peaceful line and Weatherman's "Custeristic" line (iFred Hampton's word term for them) was a profound distrust of the American Working Class and overestimation of the cultural power of capitalism. And a final point, if you read Lars Lih you will find a series of Trotskyist leaders being quoted as seeing that the heart of Lenin's "theory" was a profound distrust of Russian Woerkes. That is, the Trotskyist tradition has more or less grounded its ultra-leftism in a (false) description of Lenin and in a gross misreading of WITBD.

Incidentally, I picked up this definition of ultra-leftism or left-opportunism from a pamphlet written by an Australian and originally published by The Communist Party of Australia. It was reprinted in the U.S. by the Communist Labor Party - it is a glossary of Marxist terminology. I have it around the house someplace but it got misplaced and I can't put my hands on it.

^^^^^ CB: "Ultra-left" or "phony-left" are contemporary synonyms for "Leftwing Communism" from Lenin's _Leftwing Communism: an Infantile Disorder_ . Lenin may be having fun with the Freudian term "infantile", fresh at that time. Lenin's book details the immature thinking (refusal to compromise on non-principled questions, etc.) of a number of "ultra-left" Communists in that period. Lenin also wrote a lot about petit bourgeois revolutionism.