[lbo-talk] Epic OWS tax policy presentation

Ferenc Molnar ferenc_molnar at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 27 09:24:59 PDT 2011

Darn, if the video led with the elegant and slightly weasely "K-RUG" guy who knows how to let the rhymes flow instead of the rather stiff "D.J. Moneypenny" I'd be forwarding this video.

But I'm also more than slightly confused about the push for this "Robin Hood Tax". It seems to be a variation of the Tobin Tax that groups like ATTAC have been supporting. What was originally a tax on currency conversion is now, under the Robin Hood Tax, a currency on certain types of financial transactions?

And the proceeds of the tax will go to whom? The 50 or so NGO's sponsoring the tax?

I'm not vehemently anti-NGO, I definitely believe that some are better than others and some are excellent but much of NGO money goes into perpetuating the structure of NGO's themselves. And they often, Bono-like, share the same bed with the global financial organizations that they are tasked with ameliorating. Perhaps it's time to revive the critique of the World Social Forums and NGO culture of the mid-2000's... a critique I can barely remember.