[lbo-talk] Tuesday evening report from OWS

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Oct 27 17:57:57 PDT 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 19:54:29 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2011, at 7:39 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:
>
> > Mine would be that a day or two or go you were asking
> who Jodi Dean was and now suddenly you know her well
> enough to brand her a red-hot sternly orthodox Leninist

What a difference a couple of days can make. For example, one can do a bit of Googling and read a bit.

> Man, people do love to hate on Jodi. Me, I like her a lot.

My own initial response was intense irritation. But I'll keep reading, and watching, and perhaps that will change.

To her credit: There's certainly a hats-off due to anybody trying to stay on tenure track who nevertheless has a good word to say for Communism.

She's kinda been all over the lot on OWS, hasn't she, though? From that tedious critics-circle thing at Jacobin to some of her more recent blog posts.

But maybe that just means that she's still learning, as let's hope we all are. Myself very much included. I see she's participating in a candid and constructive way on the nycga.net web site, and that's more important than anything else, right now.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com

"I think the American people want a solemn ass as a President, and I think I will go along with them."

-- Barack Obama

(Okay, okay, it was really Calvin Coolidge.)