[lbo-talk] Another computer great passes: John McCarthy RIP

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 18:40:02 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 20:00, Tayssir John Gabbour <tjg at pentaside.org>wrote:

> No tool is the best in all situations. I'm happy to tell you about all
> the negatives of all my favorite instruments. But let's also know what
> they're good for.

All programming languages -ok I´m exaggerating- should be ditched in favour of NetRexx, the human-friendly version of Java, that generates Java code.... :)

The "everything is a string" approach is pure genius.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetRexx

..and no bloody curly braces overload to signal the beginning-end of statements, just human-readable instructions.

Mike F. Cowlishaw should have a statue done in his honor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Cowlishaw

Just sayin´ ;) FC

-- "The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers." Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code