[lbo-talk] Another computer great passes: John McCarthy RIP

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Oct 30 16:45:50 PDT 2011

On Oct 30, 2011, at 6:18 PM, Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM, // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
>> (that as well as the fact that I don’t know how to write a line of code in Clojure, or Lisp any more for that matter).
>
> Unfortunately, due to his lack of professional knowledge, this "senior
> software developer" has stooped even lower by sniping at me in a
> totally unrelated thread.
>
> Like a hydra, each time you point out one error he makes, he'll make
> two more to justify it.

Ouch! Hydra! I guess this discussion is irrecoverable. :-( But a point: I didn’t say I am a “senior software developer” (nor did/do I say I am not). It seems to me that it shouldn't matter _what_ someone is, when there are substantive ideas/statements that we can discuss. It shouldn’t be about me: singling me out, helping me save face, etc; nor was the discussion about whose “instrument” (i.e., programming language) is better.

Cheers,

—ravi

P.S: the mention in the unrelated thread was not intended as a “snipe”. The word “disciple” was intended in a positive sense (which is how it is used, AFAIK), and a word I used to replace the more familiar but also more flippant “fan”, in my original draft message.