[lbo-talk] occupation and situationists was Re: enemy's turf

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 28 08:22:08 PDT 2011

On Oct 28, 2011, at 10:59 AM, Michael Smith wrote:

> Doug's implicit line of argument here, I think,
> falls into the fear-of-backlash category, which
> is hardly ever, if ever, a sound strategic
> consideration.
>
> OWS is quite unusual in having widespread public
> support, which is wonderful but atypical.
> More usually, any time you have a march or a sit-in
> you piss a lot of people off. What inferences
> do we draw?

I wouldn't want to encourage a backlash among people who are barely getting by trying to buy necessities at a depressing store. (Because of cost-cutting, service and inventory are worse than ever, too.) And maybe annoying workers who are in the same demographic. OWS has chosen its targets beautifully so far - the 99/1 thing is great. I don't see the payoff in messing with the lives of the bottom 40%, who often have as little time as they do money.

Doug