[lbo-talk] occupation and situationists was Re: enemy's turf

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 28 09:01:22 PDT 2011

At 08:22 AM 10/28/2011, Doug Henwood wrote:

>I wouldn't want to encourage a backlash among people who are barely
>getting by trying to buy necessities at a depressing store.

There would also almost certainly be media reports looping someone from the 40% saying "why are they doing this to me?" There was lots of that happening during the Los Angeles riots/uprising in 1992.

>Walmart has to be open to do business; but if it's open anybpdy can
>walk in. Just mill around in the aisles, block traffic, accumulate a
>cartload of cheap shabby krotz, wait patiently in the checkout line,
>then abandon it at the register.

Why not do that at places where the 1% hang out? Like the opera. I know there are opera fans here, but I'm guessing most of you sit in the cheap seats and don't go on opening night.

http://sfciviccenter.blogspot.com/2006/09/opening-night-at-opera-1.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336805/Italian-spending-cuts-protest-outside-Milan-Opera-House-La-Scala-gala-opening.html

http://articles.nydailynews.com/1999-09-28/news/18111494_1_protesters-opera-patrons-lincoln-center