[lbo-talk] occupation and situationists was Re: enemy's turf

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 14:45:17 PDT 2011

On 10/28/2011 5:23 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> I think we should go on trying to understand it better -- but that is
> a backward look already, and I'm more focused on collective ways of
> building in the space OWS has opened.

Me too. Carrol, if it weren't for the censorious attitude, I would be agreeing with most of your posts on this subject.

The other day a friend who subscribes to lbo-talk emailed me offlist. He said: "it's funny - Carrol will never know that just yesterday you were saying how right he is on this or that point." (The friend is on the Demands Working Group at OWS and we'd recently been talking about OWS strategy, etc.) For the record, I agree with you that the process of collective action does have an inherent tendency to educate participants. But it's only a tendency, it's not an absolute law. You can't just say that all critique is moot because the participants are guaranteed to have already considered it and achieved some higher wisdom about it. If that were true, the Weathermen would have seen that what they were doing was destructive.

SA