[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1736, Issue 3

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 31 12:39:10 PDT 2011

Monday is a ridiculously crowded day for me so I don't have time to develop this.

It is far easier to mobilize the "middle" than the "lower" strata. Almost all left efforts at outreach, no matter the issue, more or less automatically reach primarily this 'middle.' It is ridiculous to worry about that.

So we mobilize growing numbers of the middle: in a period of left upsurge that's a simple given. It happens. No need to focus on it as a separate concern. Anyone who has done a great deal of outreach work knows this.

But mobilize for _what_ -- or, more correctly, against what.

The working class cannot be mobilized effectively except as it is mobilized to fight against the conditions which affect the most oppressed.

That is why migration, the prison system, and the education of the 'central cities' are probably the key issues. Worry abut fetishizing the poor is nonsense. Worry about not focusing on the foundation on which repression is built.

Carrol

Carrol