[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1736, Issue 3

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Oct 31 12:43:01 PDT 2011

A couple points. I think that its a mistake to think of the prison as a separate institution within Davis' analysis, rather its tied to a larger disciplinary apparatus, tied in with the stop and frisk policies, for instance. Prisons are only one part of a web of disciplinary apparatuses, deeply linked into the ongoing project of racialization in this country (I'm thinking about the laws in Arizona and Alabama in the emphasis of this as an ongoing and mutating project.) Davis does some pretty good work spelling this out in her most recent work.

That being said, I accept that this isn't necessarily immediately apparent to portions of what Doug identifies as the 75%, which means that there are going to be folks in the movement who don't immediately get it, but isn't this why movements always have an educational component to them. As Adorno would point out, there's nothing radical about common sense.

robert wood