[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1736, Issue 3

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 31 13:29:08 PDT 2011

>Also, as Christian asked earlier today: "What does 'prison abolition' actually mean? I still don't know and can't get a clear answer and thus never subscribed."
>
>Doug

Angela Davis says she chose the term because people think the idea of getting rid of prisons is unthinkable, just as at one time people could not imagine a world without slavery. It also helps her place the current system in a trajectory that she argues starts with changes in prison policy after the civil war, designed to continue slavery under another system.

Her take on prisons is concisely argued in a little book called Are Prisons Obsolete?