[lbo-talk] (no subject)

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Oct 31 13:41:43 PDT 2011

If you haven't seen this q&a with Angela Davis, you should.

They are talking about strategy, how to expand the movement, how to talk to conservatives, the difference between a movement and a party, how to avoid being co-opted b the democratic party, etc.

Which reminds me that, since the people at Zuccotti Park are so receptive to these sorts of discussions, it would seem like a great time for Doug to intervene with some discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmxWyhIPzgM&noredirect=1

I agree with max and others btw. Calling Doug an asshole was counterproductive. I apologize for that and for overposting.

Michael Yates will be happy to know that the local occupy library has all my old issues of MR Zine, Why Unions Matter and Cheap Motels, Doug's books, Liza's book, People's history, and a couple of Perelman's books. I don't give away my books lightly!

I've decided that I will simply ignore the baiting and, if I can't, then they go in my filter file.

Surprisingly, I did that once with Carrol and - don't be mad! :) - Ravi. yes! Ravi. He pissed me off. He grated on my nerves. But, after a breather, all's well. See?

That's more in the spirit of what I was advocating.

SA, I don't think pointing out the logical fallacy is worth my time. In fact, arguing by pointing them out is .... LF. you use understanding of LF to see it in your own arguments. For me, when I see it used repeatedly, I figure that the person doesn't have a substantive argument.

Charles, you worry about what other people reading thing. But it is other people writing me offlist, thanking me for my posts, which is what Yates is talking about. I'm very aware of another audience. The problem is, that audience wants me to write what I do.

shag